40 Days of Renewal 2020
From Pride to Humility
40 Days of Renewal:
From Pride to Humility
The Lord hates pride and arrogance. The fear of the LORD is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate. (Proverbs 8:13 ESV)
Pride and Arrogance Pride and Honor
18 Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. 19 It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud. (Proverbs 16:18-19 ESV)
Pride doesn’t just hinder people from God; it removes people from God.
Jesus proclaimed, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:3 ESV) He is talking about people who humbly seek God, realizing their spiritual bankruptcy and inability to come to God apart from his wondrous grace.
Pride blinds people from seeing God’s righteous judgment and the need for a Savior.
Pride obstructs people from the way of God’s salvation.
The disciples: “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” Jesus responded: “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:3-4 ESV)
It is impossible to enter the kingdom of God through religion or through prideful accomplishment.
We have nothing to offer God except our sin and life, and yet, he graciously saves us and gives us a new life when we humbly surrender to him.
Pride will keep people from God’s wisdom.
Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him. (Proverbs 26:12 ESV)
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. 7 Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil. (Proverbs 3:5-7 ESV)
In other words, humbly look away from yourself and look to God and his word. Trust God and not yourself.
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom. (Proverbs 11:2 ESV)
Humility moves people to seek Jesus and his word (the Bible) for wisdom
See Proverbs 30:1-6
- Without divine revelation, there is no true wisdom.
- Human searching alone can’t provide wisdom; it is from heaven.
- Wisdom belongs to God; he makes it known through his Son, Jesus, and his word.
Important Response: 1) Humble yourself. 2) Ask the Lord for wisdom, study the understanding revealed by Jesus, seek the preeminent counsel of the Bible, and don’t add to his words.
As you begin 40 Days of Renewal:
- Humbly surrender yourself to Jesus, trusting in his salvation and righteous way.
- Humble yourself daily before God (read, pray, and praise).
- Humbly gather with others for prayer (Cottage Prayer Nights).
- Humbly put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and be renewed in the spirit of your minds …after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. (Ephesians 4:22-24)
- Humble yourself in a genuine relationship with a truth-bearing friend.
40 Days of Renewal is an intentional season when, as a church, we pursue lasting renewal in Christ in every area of life.